Marsh Edge Farm Notes

Marsh Edge Farm Notes:
Welcome to my farm blog. I don't have a farm, but I do everything possible to have fresh produce on my table all summer long, as well as can and preserve much of what I grow. I live on the edge of Tolland Marsh and three years ago began calling my home garden Marsh Edge Farm. I created a label to place on all my canned goods, and everything I preserve, from jams to saurkraut end up with one of my simple labels.

I have two gardens, one is a spring garden and the other is my summer garden. From each garden I usually can grow enough to keep me in fresh vegetables for the whole summer, as well as enough to can and freeze to last the winter.

I also grow many of the herbs that go into my dishes. One of my favorite things to do with all these vegetables is create recipes that my family will eat. That is what this blog is mainly about, the recipes I develop or create in my kitchen as I experiment. Hope you enjoy reading my farm blog, and I hope you will try some of my recipes.

Updates for 2014

After a few years of very bad crops, I have left behind the vegetable gardens for awhile. However, I have found that fresh produce is available throughout the summer at the many farmers markets in the area. Here is a list of some of the markets and farms I gather my fresh fruits and vegetables from.

Rockville Farmers Market: Thursdays from 10 to 1 at the courthouse parking lot.

Tolland Farmers Market: Saturdays from 9 to 12 on the green.

Coventry Regional Farmers Market: Sundays from 11 to 2 at the Nathan Hale Homestead on South St.

Wright's Orchard on South River Road in Tolland, CT

Larry Lemeks Berries on Goose Lane in Tolland, CT.

Johnny Appleseeds Peach Orchard on Old Schoolhouse Rd. in Ellington, CT.

Buell Orchards in Eastford, CT.

There are many other farmers markets throughout the state of Connecticut on different days as well as numerous roadside stands. Support your local farmers no matter how small and you will gain in health and well being by eating the freshest of the fresh.

A link to the Connecticut Farmers Markets for 2014
http://www.ct.gov/doag/lib/doag/marketing_files/2014/fm_listing_as_of_07-01-2014.pdf



Monday, July 11, 2011

Early Summer Harvest Party - Family Style

It was a gathering of family last night as we joined forces to have an early harvest party.  My brother and sister did the cooking, creating some recipes on their feet.  The fare included broccoli, green beans, yellow squash, zucchini squash and tomatoes.

According to my sister, her and my brother spent a good two hours getting the garden weeded and cleaned up, while I worked the day doing an inventory.  What fun I was missing.  Well, sometimes you just have to give over to others, and just enjoy the spoils without the work.  I must admit I was feeling left out as I thought of them weeding and laughing and having a good time.  Then they began the cooking, for a 6 p.m. harvest dinner. 

The table included my sisters family of 6, my brother, my dad, and my family of three plus one.  It was a wonderful respite from the toils of retail.  Up at 5 a.m. every morning, and not rolling home until after 2 p.m.  So goes retail. 

So what did my sister and brother come up with?  Well, first my brother created a wonderful bread from pizza crust and broccoli.  My sister created a terrific squash casserole, and once again my brother
did another casserole using green beans.  In addition we had barbecued bratwurst, hotdogs and hamburgers.  My brother-in-law decided he would grill some salmon steak, so we were all happy with the fare.  Here are the recipe's as best as I can discern, since we all cook pretty much with what we have on hand, and sometimes we use a recipe book and sometimes we don't.  All the dishes served were amazing.   Bon Appetit!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Broccoli Pizza Bread

Ingredients:

Fresh broccoli heads
Premade Pizza dough
Mozzarella Cheese
Salt and Pepper

Bring dough to room temperature.  Begin to stretch it out, then place on floured wooden board and continue to stretch into a 12 x18 rectangle.
Cut broccoli into florets, with about 1 1/2 inches of stem left on each floret.  Brush on oil onto dough, then place broccoli through the center, leaving at least 2 inches on each side of the dough.  Layer in one layer only. 
Grate mozzarella cheese and sprinkle on broccoli, then add salt and pepper.  Begin rolling the pizza dough on the 18 inch side.  Pinch dough on edges and place on cookie sheet, seam side down.   Put crosswise slashes across top of roll and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until browned. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Squash Casserole

Ingredients:

Zucchini Squash
Yellow Squash
Onions
Sun dried tomatoes
butter or margarine
salt and pepper

Slice squashes and onion into 1/4 inch rounds.  Place in casserole dish.  Add in about 1/2 cup of sliced sun dried tomato.  Dot with about 1/4 cup of butter.  Add salt and pepper.  Bake in 400 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Green Bean Casserole, Swiss Way
(Recipe provided by Mrs. Joseph Place, Master Washington Grange No. 878
  Millbrook, N.Y.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb fresh green beans
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp grated onion
1 cup sour cream
Topping

Cook whole string beans just until tender, perhaps 8 minutes.  Melt butter; stir in flour, salt, pepper, sugar and onion.  Add sour cream gradually, stirring constantly.  Cook until thickened.  Fold in green bean.  Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Topping:

1/2 lb swiss cheese, grated
2 c. corn flakes, crushed
2 tbsp. melted butter.

Sprinkle cheese over bean mixture; do not stir.  Mix corn flake crumbs with butter; sprinkle over top.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
6 servings. 

__________________________________________________________________________________

Well that is it for today's farm notes.  Have a great day, and happy experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment